April 14, 2014

I don't know how Spencer does it

On Thursday, I worked from 9 am to 8:30 pm.
On Friday, I worked from 9 am to 10:30 pm.
On Saturday, I worked from 10:30 am to 12:30 am.

Working 39ish hours over those 3 days makes that the most I have ever worked in my adult career. Part of me is proud of it, like it's a rite of passage. I've probably mentioned this before, but I normally work great hours, solidly 9 to 5 or 6 WITH a 1-hour lunch. In fact, my hours are known among my friends for being cushy. And the times I do have to work late (i.e., quarter-end, month-end, or P&I day), I always know what days those will be, and I rarely stay later than 8:30. I had never worked a weekend before. The other part of me is like, never do this again!

Working in the office on a Saturday until almost 1 am? That one was a doozy, right there. The crazy thing is that I didn't actually mind it in the moment. I mean, sure, it sucked big time working on the nicest day of the year. It sucked big time being in the office when Spencer was actually around (something that hasn't happened too much lately). But! I was so freakin' busy that the time just flew. Those 14 hours honestly felt more like 4. The most shocking part of it all, and what definitely made the weekend not as terrible as it could have been, is that all of us stuck in the office all those hours were cordial, helpful, and kind throughout the entire thing. Who on earth is gracious and polite at midnight?! I truly have the best coworkers.

A bizarre side-effect of working until 12:30 was that I couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. Yes, I was zonked, but because my mind had been in overdrive for so long, I couldn't shut it off. My coworkers had the same problem. Guess I had no choice but to watch some Vampire Diaries. :)

Sunday, thank goodness, was another beautiful day, and I didn't have to go to the office. I did oversleep church, waking up at 10:30, thinking it started at 11. In fact, we were meeting at 10, an hour earlier than normal. In my defense, we do usually meet at 11, and please, you think my brain was functioning? Spencer was also extremely exhausted from a very crazy work week and requires that I wake him on Sunday basically every week. So after sleeping in, we went to Woodlawn Cemetery (the most beautiful cemetery I've ever seen), walked around Saxon Woods, and spent time with my in-laws. I was surprisingly cheerful and functional. I was cuddly and chipper! Spencer didn't know what to make of it.

Then, Monday morning came about. You better believe I've been a zombie alllllll day. Doesn't help that we are doing a quarter-end on top of what went down this weekend, meaning lots o' work and staying to the "late" hour of 8 pm. I'm pooped.

And with all this going on, the one thought that comes to my mind over and over again is "How on earth does Spencer do it?!??!!" He works these hours and even worse! Regularly! My brain is so fuzzy - how does he ever concentrate? I'll happily not make quite (ok, not nearly) as much and work my sweet, sweet 40 hours a week.

Spencer, upon hearing this, nodded his head and said "mmm-hmmm!". As he deserves to.

I too want a mausoleum and gorgeous road sign for my resting place.
Waaaaaay back in the day, Spencer made oodles of birdhouses for Saxon Woods as his Eagle Scout project. And guess what? They are still there! Cutie.

I'm also over here! Twitter/Instagram/Bloglovin'/Pinterest/Goodreads 


  1. Yowza, that is an INTENSE weekend schedule! I really really hope that you don't have another stint like this anytime soon.

    I usually work about 42-48 hours per week, which....suits me just fine for now. I always ALWAYS take an hour lunch because I can't concentrate in the afternoon if I don't. I can't understand people who can work for hours and hours without walking away from their desk for a serious chunk of time.


  2. Hope this doesn't post twice! Usually a 60 hr week for me - I felt your pain when you posted this one! Haven't heard from you in months - hope all is well!